You have a team of people working to keep your practice running smoothly, but would they go the extra mile if you needed them to?
Working ‘with’ vs working ‘for’ your practice
There is a big difference between having a team working for you, and having them work with you. The former being that your team thinks only of the job as a way of earning a salary. They put in the contractual hours, and no more. They finish tasks you’ve given them just to get the work done, not because they enjoy it.
What you need for your star team to succeed are hardworking individuals who care about your practice, and who take pride in their work.
Finding the right team members
It all starts with recruitment and getting a feel for the person right from the beginning.
- Job description – make sure the job description matches exactly the type of person you’re looking for. Be passionate about the role, and list personality attributes in the specifications. Separating the wheat from the chaff early on will save time in your search for the perfect team member.
- Interview success – the key to a great interview is to put the candidate at ease, be honest about who you’re looking for and why. Have some real life scenarios to hand so you can see their initial reactions. You’ll soon be able to tell if the candidate can handle everyday tasks as well as damage control when needed.
- Multi-skilled team – whether you have an existing team or you’re recruiting for a whole new division, it’s best to choose people with different skill sets. Team members with the same skills will set you back, you’re looking for variety and the ability for each team member to learn new things from the others.
- Passion for their careers – you’ve found a great team member if they’ve taken it upon themselves to complete additional training. If a candidate is a member of professional organisations and has attended courses to increase their skills, then you’ve found someone who isn’t just looking for a job, you’ve found a person looking for a career.
Keeping your star team happy
The worst thing for your practice is a high turn-over of staff. It creates delays in tasks being completed, can cause inconsistencies in work output, and can lower the team productivity.
Not to mention the all-important aspect that patients love to see the same faces when they visit your practice and hear the same voices when they call you.
How do you stop your employees leaving?
- Give each member of the team ownership of their workload. If it’s their responsibility, they’ll work harder and be more embedded in the practice.
- Let them grow and flourish by trusting them to find new ways of performing tasks. It can increase productivity, and prevent them from getting bored with the same processes each day.
- Update your admin team with industry news and include them on any good or bad news about your practice. Meetings like this can revive their passion for the job, and you may find that some of your team have new ideas to help your practice grow.
- Let them know when they’ve done a great job. It can be anything as simple as a heart-felt thank you, to something more career focused like a pay increase or promotion.
Struggling to find the perfect admin team? Let us give you the right support
Whether you’re looking to grow your income or profit, or just need help with the day-to-day administration tasks within your practice, we can help you.
Our dedicated team will always go the extra mile for you. Take a step in the right direction and talk to our team to find out more.
When it comes to your practice and your patients, we know that only the highest quality of service will suffice. Talk to our team about how we can help you manage and grow your private medical practice.
T: 03330 156601